Thursday, July 24, 2008

Al Gore's Energy Challenge

Here is an historic speech that everybody should watch.




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCKoD0bXX94

"Today I challenge our nation to commit to producing 100 percent of our electricity from renewable energy and clean carbon-free sources within 10 years. This goal is achievable, affordable and transformative. It represents a challenge to all Americans -- in every walk of life: to our political leaders, entrepreneurs, innovators, engineers, and to every citizen." For the full text, go to wecansolveit.org/

The popularity of real "bold energy solutions" is truly unbelievable, even in my humble experience.

My sister-in-law gave me her electric bike, which is in need of repairs. I briefly took it out for a few minutes and was actually bothered by the cheers and gratuitous positive comments of people on the street as soon as they saw that I was riding an electric vehicle. Yesterday I was in the more sophisticated surroundings of the big city, walking at a big university campus, and I saw the same thing happen; the school had bought electric utility vehicles and a car stopped and shouted at the worker driving it, "Nice vehicle!" "Thanks," he replied. Everybody wants an electric economy, and this video is the first sign that the will of the world's people might soon be put into action.

No comments: